This customizable course, designed and taught by Ron Crisco, transforms application developers and database administrators into fearless SQL optimizers. Here, students learn to measure performance instead of guessing about it. The course produces faster students writing faster SQL that will scale efficiently to handle your production workloads.
This course teaches students how to optimize Oracle SQL. Important features of the course include:
- Reliability and repeatability. We teach students not to rely on “rules of thumb” and guesswork. We teach how the Oracle query optimizer works so that students can scientifically determine the efficiency of any SQL statement.
- Better habits. We teach students how to test their hypotheses (“Which is better: A? or B?”) quickly and efficiently, so that they will test instead of succumbing to the temptation of guessing. We reinforce these habits by executing lots and lots of examples with the students.
- Strong foundation. We teach students how to use Oracle’s most powerful tools to illuminate why the query optimizer behaves as it does. The result is a fortified foundation from which students can solve far more challenging problems than they could before the course.
- Version resilience. Oracle continuously introduces new optimization features into its Oracle Database product. It is impossible for anyone but the most dedicated specialist to keep up. In this course, we teach you how to find out the optimal way to write SQL, regardless of database version.
Having this course strengthened our knowledge of SQL query and data access methods in general, helped us writing better, faster SQL queries. Our instructor (Ron) is knowledgeable, patient, and good at teaching. This is a course I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn SQL optimization.
Senior Technical Project Manager / ScrumMaster
MEDecision · Greater Philadelphia Area
Topics Covered in the Course
- Core SQL
- SQL execution
- Access and join methods
- SQL is about sets
- It’s about the question
- SQL execution plans
- How normal is normal?
- Effective views
Pro techniques, part 1
- Advanced grouping
- Analytic functions
- The MODEL clause
Pro techniques, part 2
- Subquery factoring
- Semi-joins and anti-joins
- Beyond the SELECT
- Transaction processing
- Testing and quality assurance
- Plan stability
- Plan management and control
Cool SQL constructs
- Conditional logic constructs
- Pivot/unpivot queries
- Generating test data
What You Get
- Admission to the multi-day course
- A copy of Pro Oracle SQL by Karen Morton, Kerry Osborne, Robyn Sands, Riyaj Shamsudeen, and Jared Still (Apress 2010)
- Instructor-led hands-on analysis and optimization of your SQL in your environment
Ron Crisco is a coauthor of Expert PL/SQL Practices (Apress 2011) and director of software development at Method R Corporation. Ron has written and improved Oracle Database applications at some of the largest and most important companies in the world on projects spanning back to 1989.
The course follows the outline and flow of the acclaimed 575-page Pro Oracle SQL by Karen Morton, Kerry Osborne, Robyn Sands, Riyaj Shamsudeen, and Jared Still. This excellent textbook serves as a valuable reference long after you complete the course.
Pricing and Discounts
Pricing varies by location, number of students, and other factors. We generally offer discounts for groups of 10 or more registering simultaneously, and some user groups offer discount coupon codes for their members to use. Details for each public event are available on the online registration form for the event itself. Please contact us with any questions.
Locations and Dates
We announce our public courses on our calendar. We also teach private classes that are not publicly advertised, at individual companies. Many of our events are inspired by just one person asking about a course. Contact us if you are interested in scheduling a course for yourself or your group.
Hosting a Public Course at Your Facility
Are you looking for first-class education without the travel costs? By hosting the course at your facility and helping us attract students, we can bring the course right to you.
Hosting a public course saves money and provides the ultimate in convenience for you and your colleagues. Write us if you’re interested in hosting a public course.
A private course taught at your facility ensures that your staff can be completely open with their classroom discussions. The course curriculum fits tightly into the scheduled format, but we can offer an additional day or more of instruction in which your staff can work directly with Cary Millsap on the subject matter in your company’s specific context. Our minimum student count for private courses varies by location and is generally proportional to the time and expense required to reach your facility from our office near the DFW Airport. Write us if you’re interested in hosting a private course.
Classroom Setup Requirements
The course requires a quiet room with good lighting, comfortable classroom-style seating, and desktop space for each student. AC power for each student is nice, but not necessary. For the instructor, we’ll need a digital projector (resolution ≥ 1024×768) and screen, AC power, desktop space, and a chair. An Internet connection (RJ-45 or WiFi) is nice, but not necessary.
“As I completed a training course from Method R last Friday, I would really like to send you a thank you note. Now I have a clear understanding how to attack a performance problem, and, most importantly, how to identify the problem. I feel like this course is the most valuable performance-related course I've ever had, especially the tracing analysis. The wealth of data in the trace files is hugely valuable and daunting at the same time. With the MR set of tools, the trace files make sense now. They make it possible, sometimes just within minutes, to get to the very root cause of a performance problem, pretty much eliminating all the trial-error-guess work.”
Oracle Professional · Atlanta, Georgia
“I’m a firm believer in the Method R strategy for performance tuning, as it has worked well for me countless times over the years.”
Database Administrator · Scottsdale, Arizona
“Having this course strengthened our knowledge of SQL query and data access methods in general, helped us writing better, faster SQL queries. Our instructor (Ron) is knowledgeable, patient, and good at teaching. This is a course I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn SQL optimization.”
Senior Technical Project Manager / ScrumMaster · MEDecision · Greater Philadelphia Area