Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: MR Trace -- Enh: Amazon RDS for Oracle?

MR Trace -- Enh: Amazon RDS for Oracle? 3 years 5 months ago #253

Can you use any of these procs to make MR Trace work with an Amazon RDS for Oracle instance?

docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonRDS/lat....CommonDBATasks.html
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:MR Trace -- Enh: Amazon RDS for Oracle? 3 years 1 month ago #272

Hi Dominic,

I apologize for my delayed response. We've had a notification system problem and didn't realize it until yesterday.

It may be possible to get what MR Trace needs by using the tracefile_listing and tracefile_table external tables. I will need to do some research.

Thanks,
Ken Ferlita
Method R Corporation

Re:MR Trace -- Enh: Amazon RDS for Oracle? 3 years 3 weeks ago #280

Dominic,

According to the API reference, the tracefile_listing and tracefile_table external tables need to be refreshed before use. Which makes me worry about concurrency issues.

The Amazon RDS Oracle instance does include a directory object that points to the trace file location. The tracefile_listing and tracefile_table external tables use that directory object. We may be able to change MR Trace to use that directory object when running on an Amazon RDS Oracle instance.

What is your level of interest in such a feature?

Thanks,
Ken Ferlita
Method R Corporation

Re:MR Trace -- Enh: Amazon RDS for Oracle? 2 years 11 months ago #285

Dominic,

The Amazon RDS Oracle instance provides a directory object, named BDUMP, that points to the trace file location. The recently released 2.0 version of MR Trace includes a feature that allows the user to set a custom name for the directory object that MR Trace uses to retrieve trace files into the Local Trace Files panel when the Run Script button is pushed in a SQLDeveloper worksheet. This feature may be enabled in MR Trace 2.0 by adding the following line to the SQLDeveloper's sqldeveloper.conf file:
AddVMOption -DMRTRACE_UDUMP_ALIAS=BDUMP

The following conditions must hold true:
  1. the BDUMP directory object is readable by the connection executing MR Trace
  2. the connection executing MR Trace has been granted the SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE role
  3. the MRTRACE_UDUMP_ALIAS Java system property is set to BDUMP

Note: The MR Trace 2.0 Remote Trace Files feature is not available because Amazon does not allow access to the Oracle embedded JVM.

Thanks,
Ken Ferlita
Method R Corporation