Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Installing Windows Profiler on pendrive

Installing Windows Profiler on pendrive 9 months 2 weeks ago #414

I would like to setup the Windows version of Profiler 5.2.8.11 to run from a usb flash drive. I set up jdk1.7.0_45 and jre1.6.0_45 on the flash drive. I tried the following

JDK7
1. adding P5_JAVA=i:\\java\\jdk1.7.0_45\\jre\\bin in config.properties (backward slash)
2. adding P5_JAVA=i:/java/jdk1.7.0_45/jre/bin in config.properties (forward slash)
3. adding P5_JAVA=i:\\java\\jdk1.7.0_45\\jre\\bin\\java.exe in config.properties (backward slash with java executable)
4. adding P5_JAVA=i:/java/jdk1.7.0_45/jre/bin/java.exe in config.properties (forward slash with java executable)

JRE6
5. adding P5_JAVA=i:\\java\\jre1.6.0_45\\bin in config.properties
6. adding P5_JAVA=i:/java/jre1.6.0_45/bin in config.properties
7. adding P5_JAVA=i:\\java\\jre1.6.0_45\\bin\\java.exe in config.properties
8. adding P5_JAVA=i:/java/jre1.6.0_45/bin/java.exe in config.properties

Modify path (not preferred)
9. adding c:\\java\\jdk1.7.0_45\\jre\\bin;%path% to Path
10. adding c:\\java\\jre1.6.0_45\\bin;%path to Path

None of these options worked. I get a popup message "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0". Despite the message, I know it work with jre7 because I have Profiler running successfully on another Windows environment(not flash drive) with jre7 in the Path and no P5_JAVA in the config.properties file.

What am I missing?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Installing Windows Profiler on pendrive 9 months 2 weeks ago #415

The Profiler.exe file is an executable wrapper. It will try to start the Profiler GUI from a conventionally installed version of Java before the config.properties file is read.

You can customize the Profiler.cmd batch script, found in the same directory as Profiler.exe, to add P5_JAVA and the PATH. Start the Profiler GUI by executing the Profiler.cmd batch script. No customizations to the config.properties file would be needed.

Profiler.cmd as delivered
java -jar "jlib\\com.methodr.profiler.gui.jar" %*

Profiler.cmd as customized
set P5_JAVA=i:\\java\\jre1.6.0_45\\bin\\java.exe
set PATH=i:\\java\\jre1.6.0_45\\bin;%PATH%

java -jar "jlib\\com.methodr.profiler.gui.jar" %*

Note: The P5_JAVA variable needs to be set to the full path of the Java executable that you want to use.

Re:Installing Windows Profiler on pendrive 9 months 2 weeks ago #416

Thanks Ken. That worked. Relative path also works which is sweet--no need to figure out the drive letter on different systems. I also found that setting PATH is the only thing that is required. In fact setting only P5_JAVA (with the java executable) did not work.