Today, I had the honor of speaking online to the Chicago Oracle Users Group in their “20 in 2020” webinar series. In this presentation, I talk about why it’s OK to trace everything on your system and how to do it safely, and I explain why you’d want to do that in the first place.
- How to trace so that it doesn’t cause problems for anybody
- What tracing gives you that you can’t get from ASH and AWR
- Why being able to answer four simple-sounding questions opens up a whole new world for you
- How to use trace data to answer the questions How long? Why? What if? and What else?
- How to predict the impact of a proposed change, and why that’s valuable
- How to diagnose performance problems, even really tricky intermittent ones
- How to draw a Gantt chart of how your workload fits together, and how this help you solve application inefficiencies
This is an improved version of the DOUG session I presented on 2020-05-07.