Build your résumé with Method R skills.
When you can see the world the Method R way, you can see the world more clearly.
You see things that others cannot.
Even if you’ve never thought of yourself as a “performance expert,” Method R certification plans offer you a way to learn how make your Oracle system better and faster, with less risk and less guessing than you’ve ever imagined. By learning the core skill of calculating the probable payoff of a proposed idea, you cut straight to the ideas that advance your team’s objectives without wasting time on ideas that were destined to fail.
By understanding your Oracle system the Method R way, you will make better decisions, faster.
Our certification requirements are rigorous. People who attain Method R certification provide tremendous value to the organizations they serve.
If you are interested in attaining Method R certification, we can help.
Level 1 Certified Practitioner
- Is familiar with Method R the method
- Understands time and program data scope
- Has read and understands all the chapters of Optimizing Oracle Performance
- Has read and understands all the chapters of The Method R Guide to Mastering Oracle Trace Data
- Knows the basics of Oracle tracing and traces single-task sessions like reports, batch jobs, and scripts
- Understands intimately how to use the “top half” of the Method R Workbench application
- Fixes simple trace file scoping errors by using Method R Workbench cropping features
- Recognizes common performance anti-patterns in Method R Workbench profile reports
Level 2 Certified Practitioner
- Has mastered all the Level 1 Certified Practitioner requirements
- Uses Oracle tracing features and Oracle triggers to collect properly scoped trace data for individual user experiences
- Uses Oracle database-level tracing without incurring measurement intrusion
- Finds and properly scopes performance data for individual user experiences from collections of hundreds of trace files
- Navigates complicated data scoping problems
- Identifies performance improvement opportunities in a wide variety of cases
- Proposes sensible remedy actions for performance problems and can predict their benefits, costs, and risks
- Identifies the point of diminishing returns for improving the performance of a user experience
- Knows how to apply all the preconfigured actions in the “bottom half” of the Method R Workbench application
- Understands when Oracle trace data implies performance improvement opportunities in Oracle and non-Oracle tiers
Level 3 Certified Practitioner
- Has mastered all the Level 2 Certified Practitioner requirements
- Teaches Method R and Method R Workbench application principles to colleagues
- Teaches application developers how to use Oracle session handle attribute values to simplify performance data collection
- Uses system tools like strace and DTrace to learn how the Oracle Database software is using its operating system and underlying hardware
- Explains profile report results to non-Oracle specialists, even in uncomfortable, high-pressure circumstances
- Writes custom actions for the “bottom half” of the Method R Workbench application
- Leads code reviews with Oracle application developers and database administrators
- Writes high-quality engagement reports detailing Method R analysis projects
- Integrates Method R measurement principles into application testing, hardware and software upgrades, platform migrations, capacity planning, and other problem preemption contexts